Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Pecan Pralines

I'm not going to lie, I had a minor breakdown the first time I attempted this recipe. The second attempt was an improvement, but still not restaurant quality. The pralines weren't as hard as I wanted them. I think it takes a decent amount of practice to get these right because you have to recognize the point in time when you should stop cooking the praline mixture. In my case, it seemed to be a small window. I'm sure a candy thermometer would help, but I don't have one. So, that being said, good luck!

4 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 (14 oz) cans Borden's Eagle Brand condensed milk
2 cups water
4 cups broken pecan pieces

Bring all the ingredients except the pecans to a boil in a 5-6 quart heavy pot. Once boiling, lower the heat to a frisky simmer. Do not stray far from the stove; the mixture will foam over the sides of the pot for the next 20 to 25 minutes. Continue to whisk down the foam with a heavy metal whisk, until the foaming settles and no longer overflows.

Continue to cook at a frisky simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Do not stop cooking until the praline mixture has solidified enough to make several soft balls. To see if the praline mixture has solidified enough, drop 1/4 teaspoon of the hot candy into a cup of cold water. Let is sit in the water for about 30 seconds, then try to form a soft ball with it. Until you can form a ball, the mixture is not ready. Once ready, add the pecans, stirring them into the candy thoroughly.

On a table, butter a 3-4 foot piece of butcher paper. The candy will be too hot to touch. With one tablespoon, dip into the pot and remove a 1 1/2 to 2 inch patty, then use another spoon to scrape the "ball" of hot candy onto the butcher paper. Leave the balls of candy on the sheet to cool and harden, 30-45 minutes. When the candies are hard enough, pack them individually or together in an air-tight plastic container. They will keep for several weeks in the refrigerator.

Makes 36-45 pralines.


No comments: